Asbestos Abatement Preformed by the Property Owner

See the Rates page for Disposal Fees

The New River Resource Authority may accept asbestos containing material for disposal generated from both commercial and residential projects. The regulatory requirements outlined in the Virginia Department of Labor and Industries, Virginia Department of Environmental Quality and the State Building Code mandate that asbestos material generated by Contractors, Commercial Operations and those of the Home Owner be handled independent of one another.

The procedures outlined below deal strictly with owners of single family residential structures performing their own renovation or demolition work and its transportation to the New River Solid Waste Management Area for disposal. The NRRA landfill Permit is permitted to accept only non-friable non-regulated asbestos containing materials >1 %.

Identifying suspected non-friable asbestos materials as a homeowner is not an easy task  and may require the assistance of a professional asbestos contractor to survey and test the material, to determine if it is friable or non-friable and contains >1 % of asbestos. Below are outlined areas within the home where asbestos containing materials may be found.

  • Some roofing is made of asbestos.
  • Siding shingles are made of asbestos cement.
  • Houses built between 1930 and 1950 may have asbestos as insulation.
  • Asbestos may be present in textured paint and in patching compounds used on wall and ceiling joints. Their use was banned in 1977.
  • Artificial ashes and embers sold for use in gas-fired fireplaces may contain asbestos.
  • Older products such as stove-top pads may have some asbestos compounds.
  • Walls and floors around woodburning stoves may be protected with asbestos paper, millboard, or cement sheets.
  • Asbestos is found in some vinyl floor tiles and the backing on vinyl sheet flooring and adhesives.
  • Hot water and steam pipes in older houses may be coated with an asbestos material or covered with an asbestos blanket or tape.
  • Oil and coal furnaces and door gaskets may have asbestos insulation

Disposal of non friable non regulated asbestos containing material >1% at the New River Resource Authority Solid Waste Facility requires that the following procedures be followed.

Step 1 . Identification of Materials shall comply with option A or B.

The Local Building Official is not required to identify asbestos containing materials and shall request the property owner to provide test data on suspected asbestos containing material prior to proceeding with the project. The asbestos testing data shall be required prior to the issuance of the Building / Demolition Renovation Disposal Permit, or transportation and delivery of this material to the landfill for disposal in accordance with the VDLI & VDEQ regulations.

Listed below are several firms in the region from the telephone book you may contact regarding the testing & removal of this material:

Step 2. A Building / Demolition / Renovation Disposal Permit, from the appropriate local building official are required for disposal.

  • Construction materials identified as non regulated asbestos containing material >1% by the Building Official shall be noted on the Building / Demolition / Renovation Disposal Permit upon issuance.
  • All tested materials shall provide the results to NRRA 48 hours prior to deliveryand a copy shall be attached to the disposal permit upon delivery.

Step 3 . The Disposal of all non-friable asbestos containing waste shall follow the protocol outlined below.

  • The home owner shall provide the NRRA with a notice of 24 hours prior to delivering the non-friable waste for disposal.
  • Non-friable Asbestos: Placed in 6 mil thick plastic bags and sealed or encased in sealed layers of 6 mil thick plastic wrap.

  • Transportation: non-friable asbestos shall be covered to segregate the load from the cab of the truck transporting the material.

Questions regarding the disposal of asbestos containing material should be directed to the New River Resource Authority (540) 674-1677 or

-- A printable version of this document may be downloaded and printed. --