Contractors and Commercial Asbestos Disposal Procedures
The Disposal of non-friable non-regulated asbestos containing material at the New River Resource Authority Solid Waste Facility requires that the following procedures be followed.
Step 1. Identification of Materials Asbestos survey required.
The owner / contractor will provide an asbestos survey for commercial / residential properties identifying the friable asbestos and non-friable asbestos containing material on site, prior to the issuance of the Building/ Demolition / Renovation Disposal Permit, or delivery of the debris materials to the landfill for disposal.
Step 2. Issuance of a Building / Demolition / Renovation Disposal Permit
- The owner / contractor will provide the local building official with an asbestos survey for the structure sited for demolition or renovation to secure Building / Demolition / Renovation Disposal Permit required for the materials disposal at NRRA disposal unit. The owner/ contractor is required to provide a copy of the asbestos survey to the New River Resource Authority 48 hours prior to delivery of the waste.
- The asbestos survey will identify non regulated asbestos containing material to be noted on the Building / Demolition / Renovation Disposal Permit issued for the project that may be delivered to the NRRA disposal unit.
- The Owner /Contractor will provide the NRRA with the name of the disposal site where the Regulated asbestos containing material identified the asbestos survey was taken for disposal.
Step 3 . The Disposal of all non-friable asbestos containing waste shall follow the protocol outlined below.
- The owner/ contractor shall provide the NRRA with a notice of 24 hours prior to delivering the non-friable waste for disposal
- Non-friable Asbestos: Placed in 6 mil thick plastic bags and sealed or encased in sealed layers of 6 mil thick plastic wrap.
- Transportation: non-friable asbestos shall be covered to segregate the load from the cab of the truck transporting the material.